Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Kentucky Derby

I had a fantastic time this past weekend at the Kentucky Derby.  It was a last minute trip since my dad's date had cancelled on him....and I had said - why not take me as your date, Dad?!  There's power in asking the simple questions!!  Next thing I knew, I was en route to Louisville.

When I arrived at the airport, I was greeted by a cute girl in a hat with a basket of bourbon balls. That bourbon ball tasted great since I hadn't eaten breakfast.  Then, I saw some girls at a Red Bull booth, and they hooked me up with a Sugar Free Red Bull.  What a great way to start the day.

I arrived at the hotel near the airport and found that my dad was ready to go - he grabbed us some champagne, and I changed into my pink dress and pink hat (chosen for me by Dora Chu). She is amazing - she found my Friday outfit for under $100 (with the hat), and I loved my ensemble!  My dad and I coordinated colors, and we made a great pair.

We headed off to the races, and it was a lovely day....full sunshine, lots of mint juleps and lots of hotties!  The Bacardi Lounge offered great people watching and mingling.  I met a new friend, Katie, who loved helping me pass out Project Husband business cards and interact with new men, including gorgeous men in uniform.  We got some great pics and had many laughs.

The next day, I wore an amazing dress by Nha Khanh with a black hat, which my dad chose for me.  I felt like a princess.....and I lost count of the number of people who loved my dress. It is fun to be a girl....I met tons of cute boys during the day, and I ended up meeting one who joined my group for dinner.  He lives in Austin, so we'll see.....he has my number.

All in all, it was a super fun weekend - neither my dad nor I won on our bets, but we won in fun!  It was the first time he and I had a trip alone together, and it was awesome.  I think it's important for a girl to connect with her father.  The security of the father/daughter relationship surely affects other relationships.  I can see that my dad is only human - and the same goes for guys I'm dating...no one is perfect, but they can be lovable in their strengths and imperfections.  My dad is single, too, so it's kind of fun to witness his dating scenarios and see that he struggles with some of the same dating issues.  Dating woes are not gender specific - in fact, dating and woes go together....it's all about knowing what you want and persisting until you find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment