Monday, May 31, 2010

Avenue Q

Last night, David and I saw Avenue Q at the AT&T Performing Arts Center.  It was HILARIOUS!!  We had amazing seats front and center, and we laughed until our bellies hurt.  First of all, the venue is amazing.  The design and vibe are fantastic.  I am thrilled to have a beautiful cultural access point right in my back yard.  The center reminds me of a more modern version of the Center Theatre Group in Los Angeles.  I felt like I was on vacation in my own city.

I had heard the show was very entertaining, but I had no idea how much fun it was going to be.  It provides such a great commentary on relationships, dating, marriage, life, finding yourself and love.  The characters were well developed and intriguing - it was amazing to watch the human and puppet characters become enmeshed.  The actors were skilled - becoming one with their puppets and playing more than one puppet during the story line.  My favorite character had a hilarious song about the Internet, and I also found myself fond of the Bad Idea Bears.  It was like an adult version of Sesame Street.

David and I continued to reminisce about the show after it ended - we found ourselves quoting it incessantly and singing the songs!  We even downloaded some from iTunes to remain entertained.

Avenue Q is a great date show, and the AT&T Performing Arts Center is an awe-inspiring venue for a date.  We also had a fantastic dinner before the show at Tei-An, which is walking distance from the theater.  YUM!  I would repeat this date anytime.....dinner and a show....perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment